Skip to main content

THE OATH

  What is “The Oath”? The Oath is a method that I’ve been trying to practice for almost a year, it is a stance where I try not to showcase my anger or frustrations with others when I am put in uncomfortable situations. The Oath is the act of self-discipline where I don’t have to respond to others in the same fashion that they are towards me whether they like it or not, just because they are yelling and screaming at me doesn't mean that I have to do the same as well. The Oath is the willingness to not say the first thing on my mind whether it’s negative or not, the delay in my approach to others stems from me trying to have the right response to whatever is said to me. The Oath is the ultimate test that I had set for myself as a personal goal when it comes to my patience, not that I'm an impatient person but it helps me restrain myself from those that'll say insensitive things whether it's intentional or not. The Oath refrains me from reacting to whatever negative thought that crosses my mind with whatever information is said to me, that way I am faced with fewer regrets when I think back to the situation.

 It all started when I had an epiphany at work sometime in the spring where I grew tiresome of the negative energy becoming mundane at my job, I figured if things weren't going to change with the people around me then it allowed me to change things for myself. I decided that being angry was a secondary and thoughtless emotion that I couldn’t see myself advancing soon, one day I decided to quit cold turkey. It was to the point to where a manager once spoke to me in an unappreciative manner that I did not respond to his destructive deliveries, it was at that point where I decided to leave the position at my job to another one with fewer hours but was also less emotionally stressful for me at the time. This was a blessing in disguise but it helped me to continue my journey with The Oath in a much more clearer path (which was something that I desperately needed at the time), this was starting to be the beginning of a changed man and things were looking up so I really had nothing to lose... or so I thought.

  It’s not perfect and it’s still a work in progress, I do have my moments where I slip up and get agitated but I have to remember that I’m also human so we are allowed to make mistakes. My biggest mistake was losing my best friend because I enabled her to get the best of me, I was trying to protect her when I should’ve been trying to protect myself because she was saying the right things to get me angry.  It was the only moment where The Oath was thrown out the window and I could care less about it, that car ride home not only changed our friendship forever but it reminded me why I took a stance on The Oath in the first place.  After that, I thought this method was flawed because I lost someone very important in my life due to me going against my word but I decided to continue this strategy so I don't unleash on another person ever again.  Just because people don't believe in your way of living doesn't mean that you don't have to either, continue to be the best version of you that you can be... and that's what I plan to do.



Comments