Skip to main content

spiral [side a]


  This photo session took place on the 3rd Wednesday in August, it happened to also land on the birthday of a mutual friend of ours. It took place near Downtown Los Angeles to a somewhat hidden spot where I said we would visit one year prior, and it took us this long to finally tackle it again. I knew about this place because another mutual friend lived within the same area, and she has one of the best views outside her balcony window that I’ve ever known to this day. To me, nothing feels like being at home like seeing the DTLA buildings from a distance. And for her, one of the exciting things to see (which is not easy to find) is a spiral staircase.  

  Unfortunately, my best friend’s morning had a rough start at home and her day at work wasn’t getting any better. One of her coworkers had just been terminated from her job, which immediately altered the mood from her office. From that moment, I knew that her day wasn’t going to get better. So I had the idea for us to visit the spiral staircase to cheer her up, it was near dusk so I was sure to get some good photos of her. The only problem was that I could tell through my lens that she was not in the mood for it, her facial expression said it all. It seemed like no matter what I did to try to cheer her up it didn’t seem to budge, I asked her if she wanted to talk about it and she declined. I didn’t want to waste this good opportunity on a good shoot because she wasn’t in the mood for it, thinking about it today I should’ve taken the lost because there’s always tomorrow.

  I still didn’t want her to leave in a bad mood so I called up the friend that lived nearby to possibly try and cheer her up, these efforts would prove to be unsuccessful to no avail. She was mostly silent throughout the evening, even when we brought her involved in the conversation her responses were short answers. Even after we left, an argument ensured that would further deteriorate our friendship so to speak. All this because I tried to make her smile and refused to make her leave in a bad mood, which resulted in things getting far worse at the end (none that I would’ve wanted). When I look at the photos today it pains me to know that this our final photo session, because I see the potential in how it could’ve been better (in terms of timing, wardrobe, lighting, etc.). If I had to revisit this again I would know how to reshoot it and make it better, and wished how things didn’t spiral out of control after these photos were taken. Maybe if I didn’t try so hard to see her happy we wouldn’t be here now, it was like I stated earlier I should’ve taken the L and called it a day. But it would kill me if I didn’t try, because that’s what best friends do… be there for each other.



Posted 4 months after the altercation occurred.

RESIST: spiral
RETIRE: exit 18
REGRET: exit 65
REMORSE: exit 68

Comments