Skip to main content

the words


   Sometimes I ask myself if I’m too sensitive to words or if others don’t realize how sharp their tongues are, I also question myself if I’m supposed to have a tolerance to their bold language or if this is not normal behavior. These are the thoughts that cross my mind every time something insensitive is said towards me, the moments where I could feel my limit is about to be triggered. The times where I have to question if the person speaking really understands what they’re saying, and the fact that I have to question myself for allowing this. I’m saying this because I know I can be blunt and direct with my words because I’ve been told by my peers that my way of sarcasm doesn't sit well to those who take things at face value, but I’m very careful not to hurt someone else’s feelings or to make them uncomfortable.  Although I might say things that could make another person’s ears perk up, I try to maintain the idea that I still can be approachable.  

   I’m saying this because the idea of mannerisms seems to be lost among others, the shock value is at an all-time high and it could only get worse from here.  The forward approach doesn't sit well with me because I know I’m not one to dance on another person’s limit especially if they’re sitting on a hairline trigger, the idea that being offensive is the new norm is something I don't condone and refuse to take part of.  There is a way of speaking to others without sounding dreadful but the problem is that we tend to focus on the things that could get a reaction from others whether it's positive or not, where the idea of our impression of you after your remark is in jeopardy.  The selective vocabulary of others today is beyond questionable, it makes me want to stay grounded and not become toxic like them.  

   In closing (like anybody cares), I do have thick skin for the most part so I could take a few punches but it’s not here to be tested, you can’t gain my respect by being disrespectful.  Imagine a place where criticizing was at an all-time low, we take compliments more seriously, we learned to apologize and stick with it, and most important… just learned to speak to people better.



The title was inspired by one of my favorite “Gumball” episodes. 


Comments