Skip to main content

jreams

  It was a Sunday morning when a coworker approached me with some concerns regarding her future, so I dedicated my lunch to sit down with her to discuss possible outcomes as to what the future could hold for her. After giving some of the best advice I could think of to provide to her regarding her situation, her follow-up question to everything I just said was: “How are you single?”  Not only did it catch me off guard, but it was also a question I had feared being asked by a woman. The quickest answer I could think of was that I kept choosing the wrong kind of woman, it was the only answer I could think of without blatantly blaming the other sex. That question haunted me for the rest of my shift, it affected the rest of my day and especially affected my sleep (but not in a negative way).  While I was asleep I missed a phone call, I wasn't able to answer the call on time but I played the voicemail right after.  I didn't check to see who called or who left the voicemail but as soon as I played it I recognized the voice immediately, it was the girl whose birthday was in June.  She was speaking about her life and some of the worries she was about to face, the interesting part was that she was speaking to me as if I was still in her life as if nothing ever happened between us.  I was trying my hardest to pick up the phone so I could return her call but I felt myself dozing off as I was reaching for it, when I woke up a couple of hours later her message was gone.  I dreamt that whole sequence, and I questioned it for the rest of my work shift the following day.  Why did that happen?


  I came home exhausted the next day and couldn't wait to put up my feet to take a quick nap, when I woke up I was sitting in the passenger seat of a car.  I remember smelling roses and as I looked to my left it was the girl whose birthday was in January, she looked amazing as always, smelled amazing as always, and was happy to see me but it all seemed too good to be true so what was going on?  She said we were on our way to our dinner reservation, I pretended like I knew what she was talking about even though this was new to me.  She was talking about how happy she was that this was happening and that she was looking forward to it, as happy as I should be I don't remember how I got there in the first place.  When we drove through a tunnel it got extremely dark only to open my eyes again to find myself in my room again, once again... why was I having these dreams?  I realized that there was a connection was that I was involved with both of these women at one point, I felt a finale coming my way and I didn't know how but it was going to wait for me in my sleep that night.  I remember walking out of the bathroom stall and looking at myself in the mirror to make sure I was looking presentable for the girl whose birthday was in January since we'd already made the dinner reservation, but when I walked out of the men's room to my surprise not only was the girl whose birthday lands in January there but also the girl whose's birthday was in June was there too.  That was probably why she was calling as she was looking forward to this dinner as well, as I started to walk up to them nervously I saw someone else walk up to the dinner table I recognized a particular laugh... it was the girl whose birthday is in July.  


  All three of them were sitting at a table together chatting with one another and the fourth chair was empty waiting for me, I stopped myself from walking any closer towards them and walked back into the men's room.  I looked in the mirror and asked myself: "Why is this happening?"  I saw the restroom attendant in the mirror and out of nowhere he said: "Because you still have a special place in their heart", that caught me off guard but he wasn't wrong.  I grabbed some money in my wallet and as I turned around to put money in his tip jar he was gone, then the lights turned off making the room pitch black.  Once again, I was back in my room.  To this day, I haven't had a dream like that since.  But I can't deny how important I was to those girls at one point... I am?... I was?... I don't know anymore.



Original draft was written January 31st


Comments