Skip to main content

REVIVAL: "The French Fry Story"

 We all have to go some time, but have you fulfilled everything you wanted to do in your life? Have you done everything life had to offer? What would you do if you had one last wish before you departed from the earth... and it was denied? Emphysema took my grandmother's life, and I went to see her as much as I could. I received a phone call on a Saturday saying that my grandmother wanted to stop the medication because she did want to rely on a machine for the rest of her life. After receiving that call I wanted to see her on a daily basis before she leaves us. That evening, it was the six of us in the room including my aunt and her daughter/my cousin. Throughout her hospital stay, she couldn't really speak. As we were taking care of her and realizing that her time was running short, she was given the hospital food that nobody could approve of. She asked for French Fries, the simple finger food favorite that millions of Americans eat every day. My aunt wanted to do whatever it took to make her mother comfortable during her last days, even if it included getting her French Fries. My aunt gave me the money so I could run across the street to grab some French Fries as my grandmother wished but my cousin was against it. She said that she "didn't want her grandmother to eat that junk" and that "she shouldn't be eating it.". I told myself but it wouldn't make it go any faster, even if it did she would want the pain to end. After this less than 3 minute dispute between my aunt and her daughter ended, I couldn't help but think to myself what would I do if I were in my grandmother's position. I just didn't know what to think of it really, of it being positive or negative. All I knew was that she didn't get what she wanted, but to me, it seemed like a harmless request. My grandmother passed away three days later. Before the funeral, I had time to think about the impact she had on my life and everything she had done for me. But was I still thinking about the French Fry incident? Maybe because my grandmother didn't get what she wanted before she departed. I thought about my last wishes and the things I wanted to do before I died, one of them departed as well three months later. By the time her funeral happened, that was mostly what I thought to myself about. I wanted to apologize to her, but I didn't know how she would hear me. I wish nobody would have their last wish denied from them, no matter what it is. If prisoners could have a last meal, how come my grandmother couldn't have hers?


__________________________________
This was posted on 11/1/10 on my old blog.

1. Posted exactly 10 years after the original post (time included).
2. Posted on my father's birthday (the year I didn't call him).
3. This story was a favorite of someone else.
4. I can't recall what the original photo was, but here's a photo that was shot the day after (11/2/10).

Comments