Skip to main content

the 2nd universal language

  In a dream I had little more than a week ago, the setting took place where a large squared table was in the middle of a room and I found myself carrying a crate of records walking towards this table. Not sure why I was walking up to the table but I sat down and waited for someone to show up, not too sure who only to see that the person walking towards me with their own crate of records had a very familiar face: my best friend. In reality, this was someone I hadn’t spoken to in a half a year but in my dream she wanted to speak to me about music? I wasn’t sure what was going on or why I was here but I went along with it, I let her go first and she pulls out this record that we both liked. She talked about how she was introduced to it during a troubling time in her life and how it helped her push through the negativity, she also thanked me for introducing her to that particular album at the time. Then she said it was my turn, I pulled out this album that we both loved and she nodded when she saw it. It was the album that I gave her for her birthday when we first started really got to know each other and I told her that this album changed the way how I saw music today, she nodded her head and agreed to feel the same way. We were going back and forth on albums that we both loved individually and collectively with some laughs and some stories behind the certain ones we remembered very fondly, you can tell that our guards were beginning to dramatically come down to more we spoke as if whatever broke us apart didn’t matter anymore.


 After a brief moment of silence as I’m about to reveal my next record to discuss with her, she puts her hand on my shoulder and says “I miss us”. I put my hand on her hand as I look into her eyes because I wanted her to look at me as I was about to say, then my alarm clock goes off not having the chance to tell her. Someone recently told me that I should’ve told her what my intentions were much earlier but I held on to the moment, I see what they were talking about and I wish I didn’t do that. Why couldn’t I tell her sooner? What if we really were connected in that dream at the moment and she didn’t get the answer she wanted? Too busy embracing the moment that she didn’t get to hear what I was going to say and I blame myself for that, I just didn’t want this dream to end that I held on as long as I could. It’s no different than being underwater where you hold your breath as long as you could to witness the beauty of the ocean, but just like a dream, you have to resurface at some point. The truth is I do miss us and so do other people, not a day goes by where I don’t think about it. Since I can’t talk to you, I’ll play this song for you. You know what it is, if you listen closely you’ll know what it is.



Comments