Skip to main content

interlude: untitled marriage story

Today was supposed to be the 35th anniversary of my parent's marriage if they had stayed together, they got married the same year that I was born (my mom was pregnant with me while they were getting married). I understood that at an early age love and commitment is hard because I learned it from them. Unfortunately, their marriage started falling apart really bad while I was in my early teens since I really couldn’t recall all of us happily being together as one since probably I was in elementary school. They had different work schedules with my dad always being out with his buddies into the late hours after he was off while my mom was always tired from her long commutes to work and back so she just wanted to be at home which made it difficult for them to ever have time for each other, they always had time for me but never enough to keep the flame alive for one another since that candle had been extinguished for years. When I see these photos today I don’t recognize these people at all because these are not the parents I remember (because this was in the ’80s and I was still a baby then), it’s hard to believe that they were this happy once upon a time because the ending was more vivid to me since the split happened during the end of middle school. It makes me wonder if I would’ve seen love differently today if they both tried harder back then, I understand why their marriage failed and how they both played a role in it falling apart because it makes me fear love/commitment today since I saw first hand how everything they went through changed them after it was said and done. I applaud any married couple that’s made it this far because I understand how hard it is and you have my strength for your continued lifetime of happiness with your soulmate, with you it shows me that love does exist and I wish you both the absolute best. Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad, they lasted 20 years.



Comments