Skip to main content

a song about caroline


  I understand how much of an impact a rose can have when it comes to a woman, I’ve never had the pleasure to give it to one until a few years ago (but that was a to few women for an event). I wanted this to be the first year that I could give it to a particular significant other but when that fell through I thought to myself if it wasn’t really meant to be, my mom hates flowers anyway so it wasn’t like I had a plan B. But I thought about someone else that probably deserved it more than anyone else that I knew, and not because I wanted her to be my lady or anything crazy like that but because I knew she didn't feel appreciated in her life like me at the time. Maybe if I explain her character it’ll make more sense to you, because she’s a different kind of special.

  If you had to look up ”lioness” in the dictionary you would probably see a picture of her, she is extremely protective of those she cares about as if we were her cubs and she’ll go the extra mile for them as well just like me (we’re both fire signs). She’s the only single woman I've ever known to be okay being single because she's so independent that she can manage without a relationship, she’s not the kind to come crawling back once something goes wrong because once again she's a lioness (but she does admit when she's wrong which is something I do admire). She recently told me that no man has given her roses in years and I thought about something a friend of mine said back in the fall “If you can’t pay me back, pay it forward to someone else”, so I thought about this bold move since the beginning of the week hoping that she won’t think this wasn’t a romantic gesture or for things to be weird between us but I decided to pay it forward by doing something brave since the person I originally wanted to give it to currently wasn’t in the picture at this time.

  Unfortunately, the day that I was planning to give it to her also fell on the anniversary of her mother’s passing as well when this was going to happen so I had to be kinda slick about it. I purchased the roses but only keeping the receipt and I secretly gave it to her saying “Don’t tell nobody I gave you this”, as I was walking away she gasped and I looked back giving her the shush motion. One thing I’m thankful for is that she understood why I did it, with the anniversary of her mother’s passing away and nobody having to give her flowers on Valentine’s Day plus not to mention that she felt unappreciated throughout the week she knew I was trying to lift her spirits. She texted me saying thank you and I could feel that her attitude shifted for the better by the way she was messaging me after she got them, which tells me that I did my part. I could tell that she was feeling the appreciation that she had been missing for a while, and it honestly makes me feel good because she deserved it.  This isn't to put our friendship to the next level but I wanted to go the extra mile for someone who would do the same for me, because that's what friends do.


“friendship is about sharing vulnerability”

Comments