Skip to main content

once


   When I joined instagram in 2014 it was to showcase my photography in another platform to see if my work would go further than it should, to see if I would be more appreciated there as I would on Facebook. I also wanted to use instagram as a networking station as well, speaking about it 6 years later I didn’t think it would get me as far as I did. instagram took me to levels that I never thought I could, from shooting celebrities to travel to shooting celebrities while traveling. These figures of status trusted me to shoot photos of them while they were doing their profession (typically music), they loved and appreciated my work so much that they would share it with the world which got me the attention of other opportunities as well. For about 3 years I was the favorite photographer around a lot of favorite Los Angeles based musicians, so much so that their fans became interested in me as well. That large fanbase came by the hundreds and, interestingly, so many people would become invested in someone like me, or so I thought. Even though I got close to those I wanted to shoot it also gave others a closer look at their favorite musicians, but what if that was the only thing people loved you for?

   This was something that I couldn’t express on another outlet but what if people treated you like a fan page?  People only relied on you for your work and not for you, there have been times where I wanted to create another page especially for my art but that would be cheating myself from sharing my accomplishments or the things that make me happy.  I could share my life and my joys with the world but all they seem to care about are photos of whichever artist they particularly followed me for without realizing that my life doesn’t revolve around them, and if I don’t post their favorite celebrity in a certain time frame I lose them.  It doesn’t bother me losing a follower but it does when they show their true colors and I see it too late, but the people I have gained through instagram and stuck with me I’m very thankful for.  I’m saying all that to say this…

   My least favorite thing about success is when you do something captivating ONCE and people love you for it, and they hold on to that ONE thing expecting the same thing out of you.  Even though they like your work, they really want to see more of them and less of YOU.



Comments